Viewing entries tagged
Thanks to our members we have been able to recover over 35 tons of paper and cardboard this year so far! With only a single worker and a pick em up truck we have collected, hauled and baled the materials. Each ton (2000 pounds) of recycled paper can save 17 trees, 380 gallons of oil, three cubic yards of landfill space, 4000 kilowatts of energy, and 7000 gallons of water. This represents a 64% energy savings, a 58% water savings, and 60 pounds less of air pollution! Those 17 trees saved can absorb a total of 250 pounds of carbon dioxide from the air each year. Burning that same ton of paper would create 1500 pounds of carbon dioxide. Our year to date paper and cardboard recovery has reduced Co2 by OVER 9000! lbs. GREAT JOB RECYCLING MEMBERS! However we can improve those numbers with an increase in membership. Tell your friends and especially your neighbours about us! Lets double those numbers!
- The average American uses seven trees a year in paper, wood, and other products made from trees. This amounts to about 2,000,000,000 trees per year!
- The amount of wood and paper we throw away each year is enough to heat 50,000,000 homes for 20 years.
- Approximately 1 billion trees worth of paper are thrown away every year in the U.S.
- Americans use 85,000,000 tons of paper a year; about 680 pounds per person.
- The average household throws away 13,000 separate pieces of paper each year. Most is packaging and junk mail.